Monday, November 2, 2015

Dreaming Big

     I preached from John 14 yesterday and there are so many things that could be said from that chapter.  It had to have been abundantly clear that something was about to happen to Jesus.  He told them He would die in Jerusalem.  He told the He was leaving.  He told them one of them would betray Him.  Yet they still didn't seem to get it.  But Jesus pressed on anyway.
     He told them He was going to prepare a place for them.  Not a place with mansions as we often sing.  But a place where there were many rooms.  It really fit the culture of the day when the groom would go to his father's house and add on some rooms where he and his bride could live.  His first message to His apostles in this chapter was "Don't worry, trust God."  Their future would be secure if they just trusted God.
     Of course, Thomas asks where Jesus was going.  I truly think he thought he was going to another town, another district, another province...somewhere away from them.  Thomas wanted to know the way.  Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life."  The way is not Mary.  It's not some saint.  Jesus is the ONLY way.
     The outlandish part of this chapter is found in the latter verses.  Jesus told them, "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.  He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.  And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.  You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."  John 14:12-14.  Jesus told them they would do greater things.  Think about that for just a moment.  Jesus healed the blind, raised the dead, cured all kinds of illness, healed lepers, cast out demons, and many other miraculous works.  He just told the apostles they would do even greater things!  You might say this charge was for the apostles.  Was it?  Listen to what Paul said in Ephesians 3:20.  He said, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we can ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work with us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!  Amen!"  "Throughout all generations" he said.
     What does this mean?  I think He calls on us to dream big dreams.  To realize that God is in control.  We should pray outlandish prayers for phenomenal results.  Then we trust Him to see what He accomplishes for His glory.  You may ask, "How is this going to be accomplished?"  Through the Spirit that He left with us.
     I told you there were so many things from this chapter.  And I didn't even scratch the surface.  Perhaps I should dream bigger.  "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine..."

No comments:

Post a Comment